- A collection of obituaries from all over Canada

All BRITISH COLUMBIA Data Collections at our friend, - British Columbia

Search here:

First Name:   Last Name:

Results will display our free data content, free external content, as well as search results, all shown separately.

Canadian Historical Newspapers -  -  Search the massive Canada Marriages Database  -  Huge Canadian Obituary Collection


Canada (all) - Alberta - British Columbia - Manitoba - New Brunswick - Newfoundland - Northwest Territory - Nova Scotia - Nunavut - Ontario - Prince Edward Island - Quebec - Saskatchewan - Yukon Territory

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Obit ] [ Read Next Obit ]

British Columbia, Canada Obituaries and Death Notices Collection

BRITISH COLUMBIA - Dawson Creek - Miscellaneous Obituaries - 91

Posted By:
Date: Friday, 8 July 2016, at 4:05 p.m.

Margret Ellen Luella Eriksson

Margret Ellen Luella Eriksson, resident of Rotary Manor and former-resident of Agassiz B.C., passed away at Dawson Creek & District Hospital on October 4th, 2002. A funeral service was held at 1:00pm on October 8, 2002 at the Bergeron Funeral Chapel, Dawson Creek, with Pastor Gary Henderson officiating. Cremation followed.

Mom was born July 27th, 1920 at Spruce Home, Saskatchewan. She was the third of nine children of Wallace and Eva Sumners. In 1928 the family moved to a homestead at Christopher Lake.

Margret married Vie Kilworth in 1938 and in March 1939 their oldest daughter, Ann was born. Gwen was born in March 1940. Mom worked hard gardening, canning fruit & vegetables and tons of jam & pickles. Gwen & I always had home knit mitts and socks. We were never cold or hungry.
In December 1954 Margret moved with her daughters to Dawson Creek to be closer to her sister, Anne Torrey. She worked at the New Palace Cafe, the Hudson Bay, the Post Office and at the new Canada Safeway on 13th Street.

After the girls were married Margret worked in the Yukon, Prince George and in Alberta. She led a very active life until 1966 when she suffered a heart attack. Mom was one of the first persons in Canada to have a quadruple bi-pass and valve replacement. Given a 20 chance of surviving the operation she showed the world she wasn't ready to quit.

In 1978, Mom met Nils Eriksson and for 22 years they lived a happy busy life. Mom always said they were the best years of her life. In 1979 they moved to Agassiz, B.C. where she made many friends. They enjoyed the Senior Citizens Center and Mom was a member of the Legion . She enjoyed the legion activities and her "club" the Charlotte Rebeccas.

Mom and Nils enjoyed floor curling, cribbage and of course Mom enjoyed Bingo!! They loved to travel and made a trip to Alaska to visit Ann. There were trips to Vegas and to Dawson Creek to visit with Ken & Gwen. Visits with brothers, sisters and extended families. They both enjoyed camping and dancing

In 1983, Mom had a serious stroke which left her partially disabled. The disability was purely physical as her mind was still as sharp as a tack. Nils gave her no choice but to walk and to continue to live a good life. He was faithful with her therapy to her arm and leg. He cared for Mom physically, emotionally and with loving kindness. Nils passed away June 2, 2000 and left a hole in her heart. Mom was a very private person and didn't like people asking questions. She had her own rules for life, one of which was: "When she asked us to do something for her, she meant now, not later or tomorrow. If she wanted it done tomorrow, she would ask you tomorrow." Mom was a wonderful Mother and friend.

Mom enjoyed her home at Rotary Manor. She loved to read and watch her "Soap". She was devoted to the Monarchy; her favorites were the Queen Mom & Lady Di. She loved country music and the outings with the Manor residents.

In September we took Mom to Edson to visit Uncle Ewart. They had a good visit and we are so glad we took the time to go.

Margret was predeceased by her husband, Nils Eriksson, her parents, brothers: Harold, George, Cliff, Clarence & Pat Sumners. Her sisters - Anne Torrey and Cathy McKillican.

She is survived by her daughters: Ann Meier and Gwen (Ken) Fordyce. Her grandchildren: Terry (Doug) Traina, Brenda (Tom) Moran, Bruce (Tracy) Hartman, Victor (Denene) Fordyce, Corrie (Tony) Sikora,& Lorna (Rick) Stauffer. Great grandchildren: Kenny & Kristin Stauffer, Amanda & Braden Fordyce, Brittany Ulledal, Ryan & Kyle Moran, Daniel & Benjamin Traina. Her brother, Ewart (Fay) Simmers, many nieces, nephews and friends.

You fought the good fight and now you are resting in God's house. I miss you already Mom, and I want to thank you for the most beautiful gift a Mother could give to her daughter - My Sister!!
Eulogy by Ann Meier.

The following is a poem written by Celia Yates in memory of Margret, October 8th, 2002

The loss of a family member
is painful from on this side.
The only hope is to look across
Through the mists of the great divide.
a Mom who was very protective here
Now feels the guiding hand,
Although it was pierced by Roman nails,
It leads in a new found land.
A Mom who expected quick response
Has responded to his call.
The voice of the One who planned the earth,
The universe and all.
While Margret was the family hub,
Her memories we will cherish.
She now enjoys an endless life,
Where friendships never perish.
The prayer of faith and repentance,
Dear Friends, is the turning key.
And God will open wide the gate,
To an endless Eternity.

Funeral Arrangements were entrusted to Bergeron Funeral Services & Crematorium Ltd., Dawson Creek - Fort St. John, British Columbia.

Linda Tschiedel

Linda Anne Tschiedel - Daughter, Sister, loyal Wife, loving Mother, devoted Grandmother and Friend, passed from this world September 29, 2002. On Saturday, October 5th, family and friends gathered at Reynars Funeral Chapel to celebrate and remember Linda. She was born on March 25, 1925 in Czechoslovakia to the Egerer family.

At this time in history, politics were volatile, especially in Europe. Life in Lindaís homeland became extremely difficult, and towards the end of World War II, families were forced to go without food. Linda often told Werner a story which reflects just how difficult life was in their homeland. One morning, while walking one and a half hours to work, hungry because she had nothing to eat for some time, Linda passed several farms where she would inquire whether they had any food to give her. Most had none. At one farm home where she begged for food, the lady of the household looked all around her kitchen for something to give her. On the stove was a pot of potatoes, which the lady poured into a sack and gave to Linda. A short distance from the farmhouse, Linda stopped, sat on the side of the road and began to eat. While she ate, she could hear bombs exploding over Germany.

During the Great Depression, the family suffered the loss of their Father, which forced the girls to become breadwinners. Lindaís older sister Elsa Schindler was one of the fortunate members of the banned Social Democratic Party who were part of the thousand souls admitted to Canada in 1939. This enabled sister Elsa to participate in a democracy previously denied in her homeland. She was unaware of how difficult things were for her family back home. When communications were restored after the War, Elsa Schindler learned the terrible hardships her family were facing. Her Canadian family was able to find sufficient funds to bring the rest of the family to Canada. Linda and the rest of Egerers landed in Quebec having traveled by ship. Eventually this ship was responsible for ferrying 38,000 new immigrants to Canada. The ship was far from a luxury liner. It originally was a German freighter which became part of the reparations paid to the Allies. People were crowded into the ship, and were fed on a rotating basis over 24 hours. The passengers were crowded into long rooms with 90 people in bunks stacked three high. Families with children were placed in rooms with 26 others. This room was designed to hold 4-6 people. Eventually they landed in Quebec and six days later they were in Tupper.

In Czechoslovakia and in Canada, Linda had a varied career. In 1939, Hitler required all people to work in the fields for one year. It is unclear if they were paid anything more than their room and board. Between 1941 and 1943, Linda was an office assistant in the steel industry. At this time she was also a member of the German Red Cross. Later at the same steel factory, in Rothau, Linda became a receptionist for Dr. Huszar. In 1946, Linda was employed for a short time as a seamstress. Then, in May of 1947, she was required to work as a farm laborer ≠ this time for a Count. In the first half of 1948, like her sister before her, Linda became a lace maker. The art is known as Kloepplen. An assortment of her work is still in her home.

After coming to Tupper in 1948, Linda worked in the Hythe Hospital as a Nursing Aide. She worked with Dr. Glass who was also a refugee from her Country. In 1950 while working in St. Josephís Hospital in Dawson Creek, Linda met young Werner Tschiedel who was to be her life long partner for 50 years. They married May 31, 1952 and continued over the years to chuckle over the Marriage Certificate that said they were married the last day of May - the 30th. The young couple commuted from their farm home in Tupper to Dawson Creek to work - Linda at the Co-op in the shoe department and Werner to many varied positions. Last Spring on the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary, Linda shyly avoided any large celebration. She preferred a very quiet low-key celebration. In June 1962, their marriage was blessed with the addition of their son David. The following year they welcomed a second chosen son, Ken. Linda began to enjoy her life as a stay-at-home Mom until the boys were in their teens and she returned to work part-time at K-Mart. Upon her retirement at 65, Werner suggested that they needed a new car. Because of the hardships of her early life, typically Linda said that their older car would do just fine. Her husband decided that they would have one anyway since their old car had experienced a close relationship with a moose. While driving to Medicine Hat, he picked up a new car and returned to present it for her birthday. A Volkswagen of course.

After retirement Linda could enjoy four lovely Grandchildren. It was often heard in this home, "Oma, can I have a cookie?" The cookie jar was always full, not to mention the deep freeze as well. Incidentally, the cookie jar was invaded by others as well. Werner and Linda, excellent hosts, made it difficult to have only one of the delicious treats.

In addition to her devotion to her family and her church, Linda worked very hard for her community. Among the organizations who have recognized Linda are the Catholic Womenís League, The Tomsí Lake German Canadian Association, Peace River Haven and others as well were to receive her quiet reliable support.

Linda leaves us with countless memories: her quick laugh, her awesome cream puffs, her strength and determination - sometimes referred to as stubbornness by those closest to her - are only a few of those memories. Linda showed great endurance, as pain was a constant part of her life. She continued to work through the pain and maintain her lifestyle as much as possible. She was always carefully dressed and groomed. Linda leaves behind her devoted husband Werner, her son David and his wife Carrie and their children Victoria and Vernon and her son Ken and his children Ryly and Tyler. She also leaves behind countless family and friends.

Her family would like to express their gratitude to a few people. They include Father Chris Lynch, and the Sisters of Notre Dame Church who brought the Church to Linda when she was in the hospital. This was a great comfort to her, because she attended Church every Sunday. Thank you to Drsí Hargreaves, Clark and staff, Dr. Ashwell and the nurses on the second floor for their continuing care, especially the night of September 28 and the morning of September 29. Linda appreciated the ladies of the Hospital Auxiliary whose kindness allowed Linda to have her hair done weekly. Finally the family wishes to thank the countless friends who brought food, flowers and other gifts.

Arrangements were under the care of Reynars Funeral Chapel and Crematorium Dawson Creek, B.C.

Jeanne Marie Hunter

Jeanne Marie Hunter passed away on January 20, 2003 in Dawson Creek, British Columbia at 93 years of age. A prayer service was held at 7:00 pm on Monday, January 20, 2003 at the Notre Dame Roman Catholic Church, Dawson Creek. A funeral service was held at 11:00 am on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 at the Notre Dame Roman Catholic Church. Father Chris Lynch officiated. Cremation followed.

Eulogy by Richelle Gannon: For anyone of you that knew my Nan you will know that she never left anything of importance up to chance. In fact, she gave my mom this history of her life just over one year ago. I am going to read this exactly as she wrote it...

I was born in Neuve Eglise, Belgium, June 14, 1909. I came to Canada at six weeks old to Saskatchewan on a farm in Wauchope. I was there three years then the family came to Chauvin, AB on a homestead. I went to school to Grade 10 then I took a commercial course by correspondence.

In 1928 I moved with my family to New Bedford Massachusets, USA. I went to work for a doctor for two years. I then moved to Alberta Beach in 1930 where my Dad started a grocery store. At age 19 my Dad was drowned at Lake St. Anne.

I was married on Feb. 4, 1934, to Elliott Armour Hunter. We had five children.

In 1939 I joined the Red Cross to 1995. Knit many articles for the army and many articles for the Red Cross Headquarters. I joined the Order of the Royal Purple in 1950 and am still a member. I was the District Deputy in 1953 for one year and also served in various offices.

In July, 1966 my husband passed away suddenly. I then went to work at the Open Door School for the handicapped teaching crafts, cooking etc. I worked there two years. During this time I also taught conversational French at Night School for four years. After I gave up my French classes I went to work for Dr. Ken Smith, chiropractor for a year and a half. In 1975 I went to work for K&P Flooring for one year during this time I also had boarders and two daughters at home.

I joined the Senior Citizens Association and was the secretary for six years. I was the president for three years and was the secretary for the Building Committee and then one year treasurer for the new Annex. In 1998 I received a Senior Citizen Life Membership. I was Co-founder and Past secretary treasurer for the Minus One Dancing Club for 11 years.

In 1985 I started Seniorís Tours with a bus driver named Dave Lightfoot. We had 15 tours in Canada and the USA over a period of seven years.

I also started a Catholic Girl Guides Group in 1956 and carried on for six years. Also about that time Lucile Hamel and I started the St. Vincent De Paul to help feed and clothe the needy. Our proceeds were from rummage sales. This lasted about 10 years. I sang in the church choir for many years and sang solo in French at midnight mass. In 1995 I joined the Seniors singing group which lasted seven years and I was in a few skits. I helped teach at the Nawican for one year. I also traveled extensively on my own and took many night school courses in water colour, oils and other craft oriented courses.

In 1958, I toured Europe for five weeks and went to Ireland, England and France in 1963. I went to the Philippines, Mexico, The Holy Land, Hawaii and Expo. Now at 92, I am handicapped and I was asked to knit toques for babies in the Dawson Creek Hospital. To date I have knit 525 toques.

In my lifetime we had a trucking business in 1934, later a hardware store in Alberta Beach. In 1945 we purchased A.J. Bergeron General Merchandise in Pouce Coupe. Later Northern Meats, Dawson Bodyshop, Pacific 66 filling station, Shamrock Bowling Lanes and Hunterís Apartments.

And now for Nanís chicken soup for our souls...

We believe Nan had actually completed more than 700 toques for the new babes at the hospital. Our Nan always had a focus on the poor and the needy, in fact she not only knit toques but blankets as well since she felt that every baby needed a new cuddly blanket.

During her life she experienced incredible changes in the world. For being as old as she was, our Nan was very modern. Nan did not mention in the above that she was an active member of the Catholic Womenís League. When Mrs. Kurjata mentioned at mass this past Sunday, that the CWL had a web site, I had to laugh because what a great topic of conversation that would have been to discuss with Nan over tea. She kept very current on local, and world events. She was an avid reader and was very afraid that she would lose her eyesight completely and miss out on the written word. She always loved a cup of tea and conversation and would tape her TV shows so that she would not miss out on either. Nan could talk about social, personal, global, religious, and political issues and was a human rights activist. Throughout her life she had very tragic situations to face but always hit issues head on and could still see the brighter side and humour of life. I am sure that each one of you could share a funny story. Our Nan, no matter what the situation felt blessed because there was always someone else that was far worse than her, she never complained.

On Tuesday in the hospital Nan said to us ďDonít waste any time, do everything that you can now, because life is too short. Donít let anything hold you back and have no regrets.Ē Nan lived by this philosophy daily, if it wasnít cards, it was the coffee gang, or carpet bowling, dancing, singing, chatting, community events, family, friends, charities and I am sure that I have missed something. She had only one regret: not being able to attend the presentation by the Friends of the Library on Women of the Peace. As you all know, one of those women of the peace was Nan.

The poem on the back of the hand out cards was found in Nanís purse and obviously it was something that she felt she wanted to share with all of us.
Our Nan always had a zest for life, a joke to tell, a current event to debate, a card game to play, history to relay and right to the end she was worried and concerned for peace, whether it be families, friends, or countries, our Nan prayed for peace.

She was predeceased by her husband, Ed Hunter, and her son, Bud Hunter.

She will be lovingly remembered by her children: Doreen (Ralph) Atkinson, Robert (Darla) Hunter, Marilyn (Tom) Gannon, Judy Hunter (Maurice Deschamps); daughter-in-law Patricia Hunter; grandchildren,Lauren Hunter, Pamela Keith, Philip Hunter, Jeanine Hunter, Joanne Marting, Robert Atkinson, Michelle Atkinson, Renee Hunter, Rachael Hunter, Natalie Hunter, Richelle Gannon and Jeret Gannon; fourteen great-grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild.

Funeral Arrangements were entrusted to Bergeron Funeral Services & Crematorium Ltd., Dawson Creek - Fort St. John, British Columbia.

Russell Mathias Lang

Russell Mathias Lang passed away on January 19, 2003 in Dawson Creek, British Columbia at 72 years of age. A memorial service was held at 3:00 pm on Friday, January 24, 2003 at the Bergeron Funeral Chapel, Dawson Creek. Reverend Judy Hare officiated. Russell was cremated, interment at Kitscoty, Alberta at a later date.

He will be lovingly remembered by his wife, May Lang; children, Ed Lang (Glenda Swyripa), Ella-Marie (Allen) Cameron, Bill Lang and Donna (Robin) Sipe; grandchildren, Lorena (Darryl) Unger, Kara Lee (Jerry) Lawrence, Sean Cameron (Tenille Wright), Leanne and Laura Sipe; great-grandchildren, Murray and Amanda Lawrence and Zane Unger; brother, Albert Lang; sisters, June (Ed) Jakubec and Judy (Tom) Mullholland; sister-in-laws, Dollie (Homer) Hines, Betty Evans, Tillie Ferris; brother-in-laws, Bob (Doreen) Evans and Earl (Marian) Evans.

He was predeceased by his father in 1952, and his mother in 2002.

Eulogy by grandson, Sean Cameron:

Grandpa was a great fan of baseball. Watching baseball, he saw something that stayed with him his entire life, yet he never truly understood it until this past month. He watched Lou Gehrig announcing his departure from baseball due to illness, and declaring that he was the luckiest man on the face of the earth. Grandpa came to understand this, and felt it was himself who was the luckiest man on the face of the earth.

Grandpa was born January 28, 1930 in Kitscoty Alberta, the eldest of four children born to Bill and Eva Lang. Grandpa completed his schooling in Kitscoty, graduating in 1948.

He met May Evans who became the love of his life. They married in April of 1952 and made their home in Kitscoty. Times were hard and work was scarce. When his brother-in-law, Kirk Evans sent word that there was work in Dawson Creek, Grandpa went west, finding work at Zero Esso and the family relocated. He eventually became a partner with Sid Cooper in the business.

Grandpa and Sid bought another service station in the late 1960's and Grandpa took over the running of this business. The service station became a family operation.

He and Grandma raised four children together, and over the years the family grew with the births of grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.

After a number of years, Grandpa decided to get out of the service station business and went to work at R.N.C Sales until his retirement in 1995. Grandpa enjoyed his time at R.N.C., he was like a little boy in shop full of toys, and grandma never knew what he was going to bring home next.

Grandpa enjoyed golfing, and a number of activities including the second love of his life next to Grandma, music. He played numerous instruments including the saxophone and steel guitar, amazing many with his ability to play and the fact that he played by ear and was self-taught. He often supplemented the family income playing for dances and banquets in the "Russ Lang Orchestra."

Grandpa loved nature and enjoyed the outdoors. Hunting provided extra food on the table while camping and fishing with the family provided a time for relaxation and enjoyment.

Grandpa was very active in the community; he was a volunteer fireman, a brand inspector, he also learned to fly airplanes and checked pipelines from the air. He worked to make the annual fall fair a success, serving as a timekeeper in the rodeo.

In 1990, Grandpa and Grandma took their first winter break in Arizona. He decided immediately that sunshine and heat were preferable to the cold and snow, and they began to stay there during the winters.

Although Grandpa lived most of his life in Dawson Creek, in his heart Kitscoty was always home, which is why in July we will take him home, and maybe give him one last trip around the field.

I never argued with my Grandpa, but we were the luckiest people on the face of the earth for knowing and loving him.

Memorial Arrangements were entrusted to Bergeron Funeral Services & Crematorium Ltd., Dawson Creek - Fort St. John, British Columbia.

Filip Simlik

Filip Simlik resident of Peace River Haven and former resident of Farmington , B.C. passed away January 23,2003 at age 96 years. Filip was cremated, and by request, no funeral service was held.

He was born in Lipov, Czechoslovakia on August 15, 1902, the seventh child of Tomas and Maria Simlik.

Filip's early years were spent in Lipov with his family and during those years he apprenticed and worked as a harness maker.

In May 1929 he immigrated to Canada to join his brother Joe. In 1930 Filip and Joe came to Bessborough where they filed on adjoining homesteads. Filip later bought two quarters of land in Farmington, two miles north of his homestead. Filip spent 68 years on the farm until moving to Peace River Haven in November 1998.

Filip enjoyed music and liked to sing and in his younger years he loved to dance.

Filip was predeceased by his parents Tomas and Maria; his brothers Tomas, Frank, John, Josef, Kliment, Anton and sister, Anna.

He will be remembered by his nephew, Ed Simlik and family of Bessborough and nephews in Michigan ,USA.

Cremation arrangements were entrusted to Bergeron Funeral Services & Crematorium Ltd., Dawson Creek - Fort St. John, British Columbia.

Canadian Marriages Search Engine

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Obit ] [ Read Next Obit ]

British Columbia, Canada Obituaries and Death Notices Collection is maintained by CanadianObits with WebBBS 5.12.

Search the Abbotsford News Obituary Database here:

First Name:

Last Name:

Buy Bravecto Online

1921 Census of Canada Obituary Index - NEW!

Canadian Obituary & Death Notice Archive -

Canadian Obituary Collection -

ALSO...Search for your names in these Ontario, Canada Genealogy Websites:

First Name: (first name optional)
Last Name:


Search for your names in this Canadian Marriages Search:

First Name: (first name optional)
Last Name:


 Search fulltext Canadian Genealogy Discussion Groups:

First Name: (first name optional)
Last Name:   UPDATED!!!


Now filtering Canadian provinces!


IMPORTANT HINT!!! - When the list of results displays, DON'T click
on anything! Just pass your mouse over the links at
each listing and you will see a balloon with the marriage




Rootsweb Review Archives Search
Search through the archives of this past genealogy update!

First Name:
Last Name:

Search through tons of fulltext obits
from all over the United States.


First Name:
Last Name:

Search through tons of marriage records
from all over the United States.


The ROOTS-L Message Listserver was a valuable asset to family researching for many years. This archive is TEEMING with family data and clues that can help your research. Here is a handy search tool for that ENTIRE archive!

First Name: (optional)
Last Name:

No results for your search terms? Keep checking back! We add new data every day!

Support the Fight Against Breast Cancer and Shop Pink Bag New York Coffee Blends Now Available at!

Marriage Search Engines

Statewide Obituary Archives

Free Surname Meanings and History Lookup NEW!!!

Or browse surnames alphabetically:

A   B   C   D   E   F

G   H   I   J   K   L

M   N   O   P   Q   R

S   T   U   V   W   X

Y   Z



If the results that you get turn out to be a death notice rather than an obituary, many times you can find a fulltext obituary by doing a search HERE.





Search through 40 million
Obituary and Death Records
in - - - - Surname Search Utility - -


Copyright © 2016 - the format and design of this website
is completely owned by, while the content of obituary data is
forever owned by the families of the deceased.