- A collection of obituaries from all over Canada

All SASKATCHEWAN Data Collections at our friend, - Saskatchewan

Search here:

First Name:   Last Name:

Results will display our free data content, free external content, as well as search results, all shown separately.

Canadian Historical Newspapers -  -  Search the massive Canada Marriages Database  -  Huge Canadian Obituary Collection


Canada (all) - Alberta - British Columbia - Manitoba - New Brunswick - Newfoundland - Northwest Territory - Nova Scotia - Nunavut - Ontario - Prince Edward Island - Quebec - Saskatchewan - Yukon Territory

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Obit ] [ Read Next Obit ]

Saskatchewan, Canada Obituaries and Death Notices Collection

SASKATCHEWAN - Weyburn - Miscellaneous Obituaries - 70

Posted By:
Date: Tuesday, 12 July 2016, at 1:54 a.m.

Thomas Whyte

On Tuesday, June 12, 2007 Tom passed away in the ICU at the Pasqua Hospital in Regina. He will be lovingly remembered by his wife, Rosemary, of 50 years, sons Guy (Pauline) of Edmonton, AB, Derrick (Hollie) of Sylvan Lake, AB, grandsons Jeff and Brad, granddaughters Kelsy, Kassandra and Kortney. Tom was a "people person", he loved to visit, talk, and especially enjoyed coffee row, and golfing with his buddies. I'm sure he will be missed by all. At Tom's request there will be no Funeral Service.Friends so wishing may make donations in memory of Tom to the, Weyburn General Hospital - ICU, c/o Sun Country Health Region, Box 2003, Weyburn, SK S4H 2Z9

"God saw you getting tired,
and a cure was not to be,
so He put his arms around you
and whispered, "Come to Me."
With tearful eyes we watched you,
and saw you pass away,
and although we loved you dearly,
we could not make you stay.
A golden heart stopped beating,
hard working hands at rest.
God broke our hearts to prove to us,
He only takes the Best."
Arrangements were entrusted to RD Family Funeral Chapel, Weyburn, (848-0333) If so desired, expressions of sympathy to the family may be sent to our website at " Our family serving your family"

Frank Joshua Stork

Frank Joshua Stork of Weyburn and formerly of Stoughton passed away on Saturday, June 16, 2007 at the age of 82 years. He was predeceased by his wife Flora Stork on December 4, 2005; his brothers: Bill and George Stork and his sister, Marjorie James. Frank is survived by his four daughters: Marjorie (John) Gentes, Lloydminster, AB, Betty (Dave) Bennett, Arcola, Linda (Jerry) Poole, Weyburn and Dawn (Jerry) Knibbs, Stoughton; his grandchildren: Carrie Gentes, Carla (Glen) Strunk, Crystal (Cory) Patey, Lana Poole, Amber Poole, Amy Poole (Ryan), Becky Poole (Mike), Chelsey, Courtney and Kyle Knibbs; five great-grandchildren: Austin, Haiden, Rae-Anne, Shea-Lynn Strunk and Alexa Patey; his brother Bob (Ellen) Stork, Maple Creek, AB, as well as several nieces and nephews. Frank was born and raised in Eastend, before moving to the Handsworth district. That is where he met and married Flora McDonald on November 3, 1948. Together they raised their family at Handsworth and later moved to Stoughton, where they retired in 1987. Frank farmed most of his life and also was a school bus driver for 17 years. He enjoyed woodworking, refinishing antiques, gardening, camping and fishing. Frank and Flora also received several awards for their yard and garden. A Service of Remembrance for Frank Stork was held on Tuesday, June 19, at 10:30 a.m. from RD Family Funeral Chapel, Weyburn, with Rev. Brian Ast officiating. Interment followed at Handsworth Cemetery. All who attended the service were considered honorary pallbearers. For family and friends so wishing, donations in memory of Frank may be made to the Stoughton Ambulance, Box 300, Stoughton, SK, S0G 4T0. Arrangements were entrusted to RD Family Funeral Chapel, Weyburn, (848-0333, 1-888-848-0333). If so desired, expressions of sympathy to the family may be sent to our website at "Our family serving your family"

Edgar Leihdal

Edgar died peacefully at the Regina General Hospital on Sunday, June 17, 2007. He was born at Gladmar on December 8, 1925 and lived and farmed there his entire life. He married his only sweetheart, Betty in 1966 and they spent 40 devoted years together. Edgar was predeceased by his parents, Hannah and Knute; his sister, Alyce; brother, Omar. He is mourned by his loving wife, Betty; twin sister, Esther (Ron) Amos; mother in law, Elfie Carlson and several sisters and brothers in law, as well as numerous nieces, nephews, friends and neighbours. Edgar was a kind and gentle man who was well known and respected by all, not only because of his helpfulness, but because of his deep love for his god, Jehovah. He had a strong hope in the Bible's promise of a resurrection and living forever on a paradise earth brought about by God's Kingdom - Daniel 2:44. A Memorial Service was held at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 23 at Gladmar Community Hall, conducted by Mr. Russell Teodorovici.

Isabelle 'Ivy' Vermeulen

On Thursday, June 21, 2007, Isabelle 'Ivy' Vermeulen formerly of Ceylon, passed away at the Weyburn Special Care Home at the age of 87 years. Predeceased by her parents, Isabella (1976) and Ingvald (1981); her husband of 61 years, Prosper 'Babe' Vermeulen (2004); daughter, Laurie Vermeulen (1958); grandsons, Curtis Ehrhardt (1980) and Steven Ehrhardt (1992); and a sister, Doris Weise (2002). Ivy will be lovingly remembered by her three daughters: Janice (Jim) Ehrhardt, Rosemarie (Gilbert) Verbeurgt and Sandra Vermeulen; her grandchildren: Duane (Diane), Kelly (Christina), Sharlene (Tim), Michael (Elena), Steven, Angela (Kevin), Craig, Nicole (Colin) and Shawn (Lisa); great grandchildren: Owen, Kaitlin, Tyler, Teanna, Brooke, Nevan, James, Jason, Sydney and Braydon; brother, Ron Ondahl and sister, Irene Weise; as well as numerous other family members and friends. The following is the story of Ivy's life as written by her daughters: Mom was born December 18, 1919 at Roche Percee, Saskatchewan. She was the first child born to Ingvald and Isabella Ondahl. Her younger years were spent in several small towns in Saskatchewan, as her dad worked for the CNR. She moved to Ceylon from Lawson in 1937. Mom was working at the Ceylon Hotel when she met Dad, a farmer from the Oakville district. On November 18, 1942 they were married in the St. Joseph Parish in Ceylon. Their first home was a granary on the Hudson Bay quarter. In 1947 they moved a little bit west of that location and this became their home for the next 33 years. They raised three daughters there. Janice was born in 1945, Rosemarie in 1949 and Sandra in 1954. One daughter Laurie, was deceased in 1958. While growing up, we remember Mom's first and only attempt at driving. They put us in the back seat of the old coupe and away we went. We were on the back road by Uncle Herman's farm when all of a sudden what is in front of us but a stone pile! We came to an abrupt stop just inches from it. We girls laughed so hard, making Mom mad. After that she refused to try again. In earlier years, Uncle Stan, Aunt Doris, Uncle Tom and Auntie Irene and their kids spent many Sundays at our farm. Grandma and Uncle Ron came out almost every Sunday afternoon for chocolate cake and tea for many years. Several years were spent playing cards with the neighbors, Gusts, Dahls, Van den Bossches, to name a few. On Saturday nights, Mom, Aunt Doris, Mabel Ekvall and Em Gray would get all dolled up and go to the Ceylon Pub for red wine. Their men sat on the other side having a cool one, as was customary in those days. Mom would comment whenever Gilbert went by the farm "If that car had wings it would fly." Whenever Jim's boots weren't polished she let it be known that they definitely should be. Many weekends over the years, we would come home with our families to visit. Mom and Dad were always there to baby-sit our kids if we needed them. They sold their farm to Dad's nephew, Ron Vermeulen and in 1980 they purchased and moved into the Maurice LaVanway home in Ceylon. In November 1994, Mom became a resident of the Weyburn Special Care Home. Dad followed her in October 1997. January 31, 2004 changed Mom's life. She missed Dad very much. She was always aware of how much time had passed since that sad day. Dad spent every waking hour in Mom's room. Mom knew all about the Weyburn Home staff; their names, who was having babies, who was getting married in their families, and where they worked in the home. She asked weekly about people in the Ceylon Community. She was interested in new family additions, weddings and births. Mom was one of the longest residents there. The workers used to sneak ice cream into her room. Some considered her their Grandma. Some of the female staff liked to tease Mom. Dad would be sitting on the end of her bed and they would sit down and put their arm around him and call him their boyfriend. Mom very adamantly replied, 'He's not your boyfriend, he's my husband'. A few days before her passing, Mom asked to go outside for the first time in several years. She dabbled in the water fountain and listened to the birds. She didn't want to go back in. Early Saturday we received a phone call saying Mom wasn't doing well, and on oxygen. When we got to the home, she was in a deep sleep. Sunday morning, Janice said 'Mom it's 10:00, you've missed breakfast.' She opened her eyes at that moment and said 'I can't eat'. She was awake for the rest of the day. We had good conversations, several family members were present. A couple of days later she asked for her glasses to be put on. Rosemarie asked her if we looked better. She didn't answer, so we assumed we did. The little grandchildren came to visit one day and they were noisy. We asked her if they were too noisy, and she gave us a definite "No," so we knew she wanted them around. There were many workers and residents that stopped daily and asked how Mom was doing, and several visited her also. One quiet afternoon, us girls were sitting with Mom and Rosemarie decided to read her our family history. She listened attentively and drifted off to sleep. The last six days we spent with Mom has shown the three of us the compassion and concern that the staff of the Weyburn Special Care Home have for the residents and their families. During this time, Jim and Gilbert also gave us their unselfish time and support. The day of Mom's passing was a very rough day for everyone. One RN told us it was her heart and her spirit that kept her going. Mom had a very dignified and peaceful passing just before midnight Thursday night. She will be greatly missed and will always be remembered. Funeral service was held Monday, June 25 at 11:00 a.m. from St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Ceylon, with Father Prince Kurisinkal Celebrant. Interment followed in Ceylon Cemetery. The pallbearers were: Duane Ehrhardt, Kelly Ehrhardt, Tim Kerslake, Michael Verbeurgt, Steven Verbeurgt and Shawn Vermeulen. For friends so wishing, donations may be made to the Weyburn Special Care Home or the Saskatchewan Lung Association in her memory. Arrangements were in care of Hastings-Dionne Funeral Home Inc., Weyburn. (842-6662)

Alma Isabel Goeres

On Sunday, June 24, 2007, Alma Isabel Goeres of Weyburn, passed away at the age of 79 years. Predeceased by her parents, Ralph and Martha Poh and by two brothers, Sam and John Poh. Isabel is lovingly remembered by her husband of 56 years, Andrew of Weyburn, and their three sons: Michael (Ursula) of Winnipeg, MB and their children, Erin, Patrick and Caitlin; Robert (Judy) of Regina, and their children, Brent and Ian; Murray (Beth) of Weyburn, and their children, Megan and Ryan; two sisters, Mary Senft of Lloydminster, AB and Donna (Paul) Ewanciw of Vegreville, AB; sister-in-law, Rose Poh of Swift Current; as well as numerous nieces, nephews and many friends. Isabel was born July 14, 1927 at Bateman. She was the middle child in a family of five. She was always the happy one who loved having fun. She took her elementary and high school at the now non-existent Bateman School. Isabel then worked as the municipal secretary of the R.M. of Lawtonia in Hodgeville where she first met Andrew, the school principal, in 1947. She then moved to Courval to work as the R.M. secretary as the pay was slightly better. On August 16, 1951, Isabel married Andrew Goeres in Swift Current. They lived in Gainsborough from 1951 to 1956, Carnduff from 1956 to 1959, Lafleche from 1959 to 1967, then moved to Weyburn. Along with raising their three sons, Isabel was active in the Legion while they lived in Lafleche. She was a member of the I.O.D.E. and the Weyburn Inner Wheel Club. She spent 11 years on the Weyburn Housing Authority, delivered Meals on Wheels, visited the ill, and enjoyed curling, golfing, doing fine needle work, attending coffee socials and being with her bridge club friends. She was also very active in their winter place in Arizona. Isabel was a quiet, gentle person who spoke only kind things of all the many friends and acquaintances she had. She enjoyed entertaining friends and strangers alike in her home. She deeply loved and was proud of her grandchildren and followed in detail their every activity. Isabel will be deeply missed by all she knew and loved. Prayers were said Thursday, June 28 at 7:00 p.m. from St. Vincent de Paul Roman Catholic Church, Weyburn. The funeral mass was held Friday, June 29 at 10:30 a.m. from St. Vincent Church with Father Gerry Bauche Celebrant. The pallbearers were: Brian Campeau, Brent Goeres, Caitlin Goeres, Ryan Goeres, Ian Goeres and Bill Senft. Interment will be at a later date in St. Patrick Catholic Cemetery, Herbert. For friends so wishing, donations may be made to Tatagwa View Long Term Care Facility, Weyburn, in her memory. Arrangements were entrusted to Fletcher Funeral Chapels Ltd., Weyburn. (842-5432)

Olga Elsie Walbaum

Olga Elsie Walbaum, late of Weyburn, passed away on Friday, June 22, 2007 at the age of 78 years. Olga was predeceased by her parents, Edward and Emilia Weise; her brothers: Rudolph (Bertha), Gus, Alex (Norrie), Fred, Ben(Louise) and Joe in infancy; sisters: Tillie, Edith, Annie and Marg (Jack); grandson, Dawson Walbaum and a son-in-law, David McFarlane. She leaves to mourn her husband, Louis Walbaum, Stoughton; her children: Laurie (Lorraine) Walbaum, Weyburn, Diana McFarlane, Saskatoon, Randy Walbaum (Cindy Campbell), Stoughton and Darrin (Rhonda) Walbaum, Weyburn; seven grandchildren: Derrick (Risa) Walbaum, Crystal (Chaunce) Buniak, Brett Walbaum (Kyla Leptich), Anthony Campbell, Michelle Walbaum, Garett Walbaum and Cory Walbaum; three great-grandchildren: Blayke and Cooper Walbaum and Cooper Buniak; brother-in-law, Gerrit Vandorp, Drayton Valley, AB; sister-in-law, Laura Weise, Stoughton as well as numerous nieces and nephews. Olga Elsie Weise was born September 27, 1928 at Benson. She was the 10th of 11 children born to Edward and Annie. Her parents immigrated from Volhynia, Russia in 1913, and settled in Winnipeg, MB. They moved to Saskatchewan in 1914 and lived in the Benson district. Olga attended Ossa school. After completing grade 10 she moved to Regina for a brief time, then returned to Stoughton and worked at Harry Lee's cafe She married Louis Walbaum in April 1952. They began their married life first renting and living on the Joe Burns' farm, then the Mooney place. In 1954 they purchased their first farm south west of Forget and finally settled on the Walbaum family farm, north of Stoughton, in 1963, where Louis still resides today. They worked hard farming and raising their family. She enjoyed gardening with a large vegetable plot and lots of flowers. The first three years on the Walbaum farm they lived in the old farm house. Olga often told the story of finding the vanilla frozen in the cupboard when she went to do some baking. In 1965 they moved a new house onto the yard and Olga set about painting and getting it ready to move into. One day, just after Christmas, Louis went over to check it out and found that even though the duct work was not yet done, just having the furnace running in the basement, made the house warmer throughout than the old one ever was. They moved in to the new house just after New Year's and never looked back. Olga absolutely loved babies. This was evident equally with the first of her own children. Together Louis and Olga raised four children: three boys and a girl. When her grandchildren and great grandchildren came along, she would fuss over them and hold them for hours, proudly proclaiming that "she would be the first babysitter" and "the tinier the better. When they immigrated to Canada, Edward had family here but Annie never did. Perhaps that influenced Olga because her family was always very important to her. Any time help was needed she was quick to respond. This included caring for her mother, sisters and brothers as one by one they were afflicted with various diseases and conditions and once shared that she would have liked to have been a nurse, if circumstances would have allowed but funds were scarce in those years. It turned out she did a lot of nursing over the years anyway. She was deeply affected when her last brother, Ben, died on Hallowe'en evening, last year. Olga was a fiercely private person and truly enjoyed solitude. On Saturday nights the whole family would pack up and go to town but mom stayed home. Often she would take a long leisurely bath and then read the Stoughton Times and Weyburn Review from cover to cover, while listening to the Saturday Night Dance Party on the radio. She loved music and was known to "cut a rug or two" at various wedding dances until arthritis made getting around a chore. She did have both hips replaced but still suffered with chronic pain for nearly 30 years. Olga loved the color blue as anyone who visited her over the years would know. She painted many a room blue, she wore blue, and she collected all things in blue. Olga moved to Weyburn in August 1996 living at Legion Towers until her illness prevented her returning home. In her youth Olga regularly attended St. Luke's Lutheran Church at Woodley and was a long time member of Stoughton's Zion parish. Her faith was important to her and since moving to Legion Towers regularly attended multiple faith services. In April Olga's son-in-law passed away and alarm bells sounded loudly for the family when she was unable to attend the funeral. Her illness presented itself very suddenly, although on looking back there were signs of things being wrong for a long time. Cancer stole her mother, five of her siblings, her son-in-law, and now too Olga. She was dearly loved and will be sadly missed. The funeral service for Olga Walbaum was held on Tuesday, June 26 at 10:00 a.m. at Zion Lutheran Church, Stoughton, with Pastor Virgil D. Anderson officiating. Interment followed at Handsworth Cemetery. For family and friends so wishing, donations may be made in memory of Olga to The War Amps, 1 Maybrook Dr., Scarborough, ON MiV 5K9. Arrangements were entrusted to RD Family Memorial Funeral Chapel, Weyburn, (848-0333). If so desired, expressions of sympathy to the family may be sent to our website at "Our family serving your family"

Oriel Alette Goranson

Oriel Alette Goranson passed away peacefully with her family by her side on June 24, 2007 at the age of 88 years. She was predeceased by her husband, Gunnar Goranson and son, Allan Kenneth, brothers, Arnold (Elizabeth), Adeline (Harold) Betteridge, Elvin, Melford (Irene), Kenneth, Norman (Dora), and sister-in-law, Cypress Stevens. Oriel is survived by her daughters Wendy and Betty (Rick) Nault, grandchildren, Christopher, Renée and Evan Nault, brother, Maurice (Sunny) Torgunrud, sister-in-law, Marg Torgunrud, brother-in-law, Herbert Stevens and many nieces and nephews. Oriel Alette Goranson (nee Torgunrud) was born on Section 5, Twp. 3, Rge. 16, W2, west of Maxim. She was the third child of Oliver and Agnes Torgunrud. Oriel attended Apollo School until Grade 8. She then worked for several families until she joined the Canadian Women's Army Corp in 1943 at the Regina Army Barracks. From Regina, she went to Vermillion, AB for six weeks of basic training. After basic training, she was sent to Red Deer, AB to take six weeks of driving training. She was then posted to Suffield, AB where she served with the motor transport as a dispatcher. After one year, she was transferred to Camp Borden in Ontario to the motor transport division. She remained at Camp Borden until her discharge in 1946 when the war ended. After her discharge, Oriel returned to Midale where her parents lived. She worked at Hatcher's Grocery Store and later at the Midale Co-Op Store. It was here that she met her husband, Gunnar Goranson. They were married September 26, 1947 at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Midale. They had three children, Allan Kenneth, Wendy Ann, and Betty Jean. Gunnar and Oriel farmed six miles north of Midale. On the farm Oriel loved gardening, growing flowers, and especially enjoyed hauling the grain at harvest time. She also raised chickens, turkeys and geese. Oriel was a very good cook and spent many hours baking bread, cookies and cakes and canned vegetables, fruit and chicken. In December 1975 when ill health forced Gunnar to retire from farming, they bought a house in Midale and settled into life in town and were active community members at many events. In the fall of 1993, oriel moved to Weyburn to be close to Gunnar who was a resident at the Weyburn Special Care Home. Gunnar passed away on May 27, 1994. Oriel then divided her time living in Weyburn and Moose Jaw, until June of 2000 when she moved to Moose Jaw to live which Wendy to the present time. Oriel remained very active and independent. She enjoyed doing the house work, cooking, doing crossword puzzles, knitting and crocheting, and watching Dr. Phil and the Blue Jays. Oriel enjoyed her grandchildren immensely and took great pride in every aspect of their life. She was a devote 'fan' at all their sporting events and other activities they were involved in. Oriel belonged to several community organizations including the Co-op Guild, Midale Homemaker Club and Evangelical Lutheran Church Women and Christian Women's Club in Moose Jaw. She also was an active member of a women's bible study group in Midale. She enjoyed her fellowship with the 'Skinny Minnie's' Diet group at Lac Qu'Parle. Oriel was a kind, gentle, loving and compassionate person with a big heart. Funeral service was held Friday, June 29 at 2:00 p.m. from Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Midale, with Pastor Donna Smalley officiating. Interment followed in Westphalia Cemetery, Midale. The pallbearers were: Shane Druck, Darrell Druck, Gary Hoium, Rory ffrench, Ryan ffrench, and David Torgunrud. For friends so wishing, donations may be made to Mainprize Manor, the Canadian Bible Society or to Pioneer Lodge, Moose Jaw, in her memory. Arrangements were entrusted to Fletcher Funeral Chapels Ltd, Weyburn. (842-5432)

Muriel Margaret Hall

On Sunday, June 24, 2007, Muriel Margaret Hall passed away at the Weyburn General Hospital, at the age of 85 years. Predeceased by her parents, Ross and Margaret Schreder; her husband, Bob Hall; brother, Malcolm Schreder and a grandson, Michael Gramm. Muriel is survived by her children: Bob Hall of new West Minister, BC; Ann (Ron) Gramm of Regina; Marion (Wayne) Whyte of Medicine Hat, AB; Shelley (Ken) Foley of London, ON; Patricia (Colin McKay) Hall of Red Cliff, AB; Rod (Sara) Hall of Edmonton, AB; Craig (Karen) Hall of Surrey, BC; Karen Hall of Edmonton, AB; and Jim (Donna) Hall of Red Deer, AB; one brother, Robert Schreder of New West Minister, BC; as well as numerous grandchildren, great grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Muriel Margaret Hall was born November 4, 1921 at Lake Alma. She was raised in a farming family with her brothers, Robert and Malcolm. After finishing her schooling at Lake Alma, she went on to attend Normal School, and taught school as well as caring for her mother. On November 4, 1946 Muriel married Robert Hall. They lived in Weyburn where she was employed by the Robinson Store, a furniture store and the Singer Sewing Machine Co. as manager. Muriel enjoyed reading, doing needlework, playing darts and cards. She was a member of the Royal Purple and the Legion Ladies Auxiliary. Bob died in 1977 and Muriel continued raising their nine children alone. She always was interested in her family as it grew to include grandchildren and great grandchildren, and will be deeply missed by them all. A Memorial Service was held Wednesday, June 27 at 11:00 a.m. from Fletcher Funeral Chapel, Weyburn, with Rev. John Ferrier officiating. Interment followed in Hillcrest Cemetery, Weyburn. All those in attendance were considered to be honorary pallbearers. For friends so wishing, donations may be made in memory of Muriel to the Canadian Cancer Society. Arrangements were entrusted to Fletcher Funeral Chapels Ltd., Weyburn. (842-5432)

Canadian Marriages Search Engine

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Obit ] [ Read Next Obit ]

Saskatchewan, Canada Obituaries and Death Notices Collection is maintained by CanadianObits with WebBBS 5.12.