- A collection of obituaries from all over Canada

All BRITISH COLUMBIA Data Collections at our friend, - British Columbia

Search here:

First Name:   Last Name:

Results will display our free data content, free external content, as well as search results, all shown separately.

Canadian Historical Newspapers -  -  Search the massive Canada Marriages Database  -  Huge Canadian Obituary Collection


Canada (all) - Alberta - British Columbia - Manitoba - New Brunswick - Newfoundland - Northwest Territory - Nova Scotia - Nunavut - Ontario - Prince Edward Island - Quebec - Saskatchewan - Yukon Territory

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Obit ] [ Read Next Obit ]

British Columbia, Canada Obituaries and Death Notices Collection

BRITISH COLUMBIA - Dawson Creek - Miscellaneous Obituaries - 97

Posted By:
Date: Friday, 8 July 2016, at 4:09 p.m.

Martha Bertha Russell

Martha Russell, a former resident of the Peace River area passed away on February 25th, 2003 at the Creek Side Manor in Maple Ridge, B.C. at the age of 94 years. A funeral service was held on Friday March 7th, 2003 at 2:00 p.m. from Reynars Funeral Chapel. Reverend Judy Hare officiated. Interment followed in the Peace View cemetery.

Martha was born on June 10th, 1908 in Cleveland, Ohio she had three brothers, Arnold, Alfred, and Ed.

Martha was an active member of the Indianapolis Symphony Choir and was a nurse’s aid for a number of years. She met and married Clarence Russell on October 4th, 1940 he was a steam operator for the navy. Martha composed the music “Sea-Bees Going Forward” for the navy, which was played in the service from 1943 to 1945 and received praise from the president of the U.S.A.

In 1946, Clarence, Martha and their son David moved to the Peace Country to homestead. As Martha did not take to the cold and lonely country, the family moved to Dawson Creek for a number of years. Martha then left Dawson and went to Maple Ridge to make her home. She came back to the Peace Country for her husband’s funeral, then retired to the Golden Ears Retirement home in Maple Ridge, B.C. At this time some friends talked to her about publishing her many poems. With her family and friends behind her, Martha published a poetry book called (Chorus in the Sky). The many people who have had the pleasure of reading her book have gotten an insight of her personality. Martha took great pleasure in corresponding with many important people of the world in sharing her views. Martha was also a member of the Royal Canadian Legion for more than 13 years. Most often she was asked to sing at many church gatherings. Martha was predeceased by; her three brothers and her husband Clarence. She is survived by; her son David (Judy), four grandchildren, one great grandson, many nephews and nieces, two sister-in-laws and many friends.

Gentle Jesus, be my guide.
O’er my life whate-er betide.
Gentle Jesus, take my blessing
Ever in Thy heart abide. Amen

M. Russell

Funeral arrangements were under the care of Reynars Funeral Home and Crematorium Dawson Creek, B.C.

Sandra James

On March 1, 2003, friends, advocates, and co-workers filled the Senior Citizen’s Hall to celebrate the life of Sandra; the eulogy was given by a dear friend, Lynnea Ross, from Courtney, BC.

Sandra was a daughter, mother, sister, family member, co-worker and dearest friend. She will be greatly missed by all who knew her. Sandy gave us all numerous gifts of her laughter, strength and hope. She has changed form now, so we will tuck her new form beneath our hearts, thanking God for the time she was in our lives.

Cremation arrangements were entrusted to Bergeron Funeral Services & Crematorium Ltd., Dawson Creek - Fort St. John, British Columbia.

Shane Hartnell

A funeral service was held for Gordon Cecil Shane Hartnell on March 3, 2003 at 11:00 a.m. from the South Peace United Church, Reverend Judy Hare officiated. Interment followed on Friday March 7th, at 10:00 a.m. in the Rolla Cemetery.

Shane was born December 5th 1956 and passed away February 28, 2003.

As a young child Shane suffered from asthma, and for this reason he chose to live on the family homestead where he felt the air was cleaner.

As young boys Shane and brother Tim were very good shots with sealer rings. All of the flies in the area lived in fear of the two of them. When Shane was 5 or 6 he brought down a sparrow with a home made slingshot. When he realized what he had done, he was heartbroken. The bird was buried in the backyard with great ceremony. Perhaps it was at this time that Shane started to develop a life long love of animals.

Some of Shane’s happiest memories were visiting Grandma and Grandpa Briggs at their farm, he loved his grandparents dogs Breezy and Princess. He also enjoyed going to the farm with his family. He attended Grandview Elementary, and one of his favorite teachers was Mr. Thain. The classroom had several animals that the students cared for and Shane often was the first one there to ensure that he got to feed the animals.

Shane liked to go hunting with his Dad, Brother Tim and Norm Watson. He was more interested in being outdoors and seeing animals in their natural habitant than he was in actually hunting them.

Shane dropped out of school in Grade 10, something he would later regret. He often counseled his nieces and nephews about the importance of getting a good education. He did get his GED and became proficient on the computer.

When Shane was 20 he was in a serious car accident. He had a serious head injury, a collapsed lung and was in a semi-conscious state for six weeks. As a result of the accident Shane suffered from a brain injury which affected his short term memory for the rest of his life. He was also sensitive to various pollutants including farm chemicals, vehicle exhausts and emissions from mills. Shane’s environmental activism started soon after this.

As he learned more about his own health problems and of others with similar concerns, Shane became an active environmentalist. He lobbied the health care system, the government as well as the agencies he felt were causing air pollution. Shane organized a meeting at the Elks hall, which included a panel of guests. He was instrumental in the formation of Save The Wetlands, an attempt to save some wetlands near Doe River. Shane’s efforts on behalf of the environment touched many people and hopefully his efforts will make us all a little kinder to the earth we live on.

Shane worked at a variety of jobs; he worked at a look out tower for the forestry, hauled trees for the forestry and various jobs on the farm. He helped a friend who had an organic farm, and was happiest when working outdoors.

Shane had a life long love of animals. He owned and trained many German shepherds. His latest dog is a blue heeler/collie cross name Eco. Shane also has a horse Dancing Old Man. His horse came with some behavior problems, and so Shane read several books and talked with others familiar with the subject and soon Dancing Old Man was a well-mannered, intelligent animal.

Shane’s sister Shannon remembers her brothers support, buying her a car to use and spending a week caring for her children, also helping her move back to Dawson Creek, in ˆ30 degrees weather, Shane was always there to help his family.

Shane was very proud of his home in Rolla, particularly his attached green house. Shane knew what was important in his life and pursued goals that were important. He lived his life in the present and took care of the things that were important to him.

Shane was very happy living in his cabin, and spending time with his dog Eco and his horse Dancing Old Man.

The family would like to thank all those who visited Shane in the hospital, also the nurses and all the staff at the Dawson Creek hospital, as well as the Grande Prairie hospital. To all of the people who sent food to Cecil and Sylvia’s, and to Reverend Judy Hare for her tremendous support and for everyone who provided prayers and support for Shane and his family.

Funeral arrangements were under the care of Reynars Funeral Home and Crematorium Dawson Creek, B.C.

George Fellers

George passed away very quietly and peacefully on January 20, 2003. He had some bad years suffering from rheumatism and poor eyesight, but that never affected his sharp mind, his great sense of humour or his good natured ways. In his mind, anyone that was friendly was his friend. He especially liked and cared for all the fine ladies that were his homemakers and the management of Rotary Village.

George's father, Francis, mother, Isobel and sister, Lilllian (later Kercher) left Montana in 1905 for Canada. Six brothers; Francis, Louis, Adolph Jr., Albert, Julian, Van and five sisters with families and friends. They settled in Central Alberta, in the Alliance area.

George was born in Flagstaff in 1906 and our mother, Vickie (McNabb) in 1908 in the Battle Bend area. A severe winter wiped out most their 500 head of cattle and in 1913 they returned to the Choteau area of Montana to replenish.

In 1919, three brothers, Louis, Julian and Van, with their mother Emily returned to Canada headed for the Peace River area of BC. They arrived and settled in the Arras area in 1920. In 1923, George’s family, with Albert and Adolph Jr. and families left Montana again and joined their brothers in the Peace.

After some years in the Pigeon Lake, Mulhurst area, they continued on and spent the winter of 1927 in McLennan and crossed the river at Peace River town in the spring, over the railway trestle and again over Dunvegan Ferry. The Spirit River trail had one more railway bridge to cross, they arrived in Arras in 1928. From there they spread out to the Spring Hill area, later named Fellers Heights.

George dedicated his life to caring for his father who was crippled from rheumatism, a life of riding and breaking rough horses and rough living. His mother was in much the same condition. His patience in making stick horses, sling shots, a bow and many hand made arrows for my brother and myself, and the guidance in the use of them was unending. He taught us to use snares and traps for squirrels weasels for pelts, and to skin and dry them for sale. How to snare rabbits and save the furs, prepare the meat for winter food, along with grouse. His training us in safe use of firearms led to us each adding deer meat to the food stock in the fall that I was nine years old and my brother was ten.

Learning to handle and ride horses was easy under George’s care. He was gifted with soft hands and calm manner around horses. They would become tractable and easily trained when his methods were used. His favourite riding horse was a half-thoroughbred stallion that was always in demand for breeding purposes. No one else was ever allowed to handle or ride "Zipper"

George spent many years as a big game guide with many outfitters in the mountains from the Alberta border to the Yukon border. He was the last remaining member of the guide party that escorted a crew of surveyors from the Pine Valley through the Pine Pass and on to the Misinchinka River in 1946 to lay out the P.G.E. Railway route from Prince George. Other members, long gone, were Bud and Don Lineham, Len Madden and Pete Calliou.

George was predeceased by father, Francis (Frank) in 1952, mother, Isobel in 1971, older sister, Lillian Kercher in 1987, sister, Vicky McNabb in 1996, one nephew, Leonard, and nieces, Grace and Pauline.

He will be sadly missed by nieces and nephews from the Kercher and McNabb families and many grand and great-grand nieces and nephews. He has spent the last sixteen years living with many friends and companions at Rotary Village.

George’s wish was to be cremated and to be put in his mother’s gravesite in the Dawson Creek Cemetery.

A remembrance gathering will be held in near future at Rotary Village for family, friends and relations as soon as time and weather will permit.

Cremation arrangements were entrusted to Bergeron Funeral Services & Crematorium Ltd., Dawson Creek - Fort St. John, British Columbia.

Lilla Irene Frost

Lilla Frost a long time resident of Pouce Coupe, B.C. passed away on February 6th, 2003 in Dawson Creek, B.C. at the age of 90 years. A funeral service was held on Tuesday February 11th, 2003 from Notre Dame Catholic Church, Father Chris Lynch officiated, interment followed in the Riverside Cemetery in Pouce Coupe, B.C.

“Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners of our soul.” Lilla Frost was that kind of gardener.

Lilla Irene Frost was born on December 2, 1912 in her parent’s home on the banks of the Pouce Coupe River. She was the youngest of 6 children born to Melina and Hector Tremblay. She had four brothers: Israel, Hector, Rosario (Bob), Rudolf and a sister Lydia. Lilla spoke French and Cree as a child living at the Tremblay Trading Post. Lilla was not a typical little girl growing up, but rather had more of the tomboy nature and it was a rare occasion to get her to wear a dress. On one such occasion after her mother coaxed her into a dress for church, Lilla disappeared. She was finally found in the barn stripping milk from a mare and drinking it. Unfortunately she was wearing most of the milk all over her hair and dress. Lilla went to school just north of the present location of Pouce Coupe on what is now called the Tremblay Road. She had found memories of her art teacher along with the many reprimands for not completing her school work. There were no theaters, swimming pools or arenas in those days so Lilla grew up riding horses, going to local sports days and attending many of the dances around the area. In fact it is said that Lilla and sister Lydia often only returned home from a dance, after the long trip by horseback, in time to do the morning milking. It is well known that Lilla loved to dance!

Lilla worked at Cook’s Café and the Hart Hotel in Pouce Coupe and that is where she met her husband, Ted Frost around 1930. They were married on April 20, 1934.

Ted and Lilla had 5 children: Bill, Melina, Jack, Mabel and Barbara. Joe Tremblay also lived with the family from the time he was 7 years old.

Ted and Lilla lived in numerous homes but always remained close to the Pouce Coupe area. They always raised a variety of livestock such as cows, chickens, pigs, turkeys and geese. Lilla had no need of a watchdog with those geese. Many of the family have a vivid memory of having to climb on to a car or fence to escape them when visiting Lilla. She would stand on the step chuckling as we perched on the hood of the car. From approximately 1955 to 1965 Lilla and Ted had a dairy farm in Pouce Coupe. Her family remembers that this was a time of better money and easier times for them. There was always plenty of food but Mabel remembers that it often seemed monotonous because of course her mom was a very busy woman. “Stew again!” was often their dad’s comment. The kids loved to tease their Mom about her being a terrible cook, even though it wasn’t true and they never left a scrap of food on the table at the end of a meal. Lilla worked hard to provide for her family. Lilla’s children agree that their mom was not a woman given to hugs and kisses but rather that she led by example. Her work ethic and unfailing sense of humour made her a wonderful role model for her family. Lilla sewed, knitted, mended and made quilts. She would take apart Army and Navy coats and make her children clothes. She sent out woolens to be made into blankets.

Lilla always had a huge garden. The girls remember their dad complaining that they hauled all the garden produce into the cellar in the fall only to haul half of it back out again in the spring. However Lilla was also generous with her garden, giving much of it away to the neighbours and friends. Her cellar was lined with rows and rows of canned vegetables, jams, pickles and wild fruit. Many children who visited were treated to the opening of a jar of pickles to munch on.

Lilla belonged to many different organizations during her lifetime such as the Pouce Coupe Legion, Pouce Coupe Altar Society, Briar Ridge W.I., 4-H Clubs, Senior Citizens and the Pouce Coupe Hospital Auxiliary. She was also an avid curler when she was able. She enjoyed preparing suppers to help purchase equipment for the Pouce Hospital and she was always there to do her part at the annual Pouce Coupe BBQ. As a mother and grandmother she gladly supported her children and grandchildren’s school fund raising activities.

Lilla was a healthy woman who spent very little time in the hospital. One of those hospital stays was the result of getting kicked by a cow.

In later years, she spent time with her brother Hector, helping out with his ailing wife. When his wife died, Lilla stayed on with Hector and they moved to Swan Lake and then back to Pouce Coupe. Lilla loved to travel. She made 3 trips to England to visit Ted’s relatives. She traveled to such places as Hawaii, Niagara Falls, Banff and Halifax.

Lilla lived for 10 years in Tremblay House and then the last 5 years in the Peace River Haven where she enjoyed doing crosswords and puzzles. She loved to attend all the Latremouille/Tremblay reunions and her daughter Barb made sure she got to all of them. One of the big highlights for her was the reunion held this last summer along with the family dinner in honour of her 90th birthday. She was queen of that celebration, laughing and joking with everyone. As mentioned before Lilla was not a demonstrative woman but you only had to look at the big smile on her face and her sparkling eyes to see the pride she took in her family.

We will remember Lilla for her unfailing sense of humour and her zest for life. She always loved a joke even when that joke was on her. Like the times Jack, Bill and Euclid used to magnetize her straight pins when she was sewing. Her last meal was pea soup and even then she quipped “Pea soup and johnny cake makes a Frenchman’s belly ache”. She was always known to speak her mind and sometimes it might not be what you wanted to hear. At times she offered her children and grandchildren advice that surprised even them. Lilla believed that hard work was the cure to most ailments. Her children knew that being sick did not necessarily relieve them of their chores.

Lilla was a kind women and everyone was welcome in her home. Many were treated to gifts of her home baking and delicious fudge. We fondly remember that box of fudge at Christmas time. It was really hard to get her to part with her recipes though.

Lilla was the last of her families generations and all who knew her will greatly miss her. Along with the many friends and extended relatives, she leaves to mourn her son Bill (Mona), Melina (Bob), Mabel (Frank), Jack (Carol) and Barbara, her 17 grandchildren and 29 great grandchildren.

Lilla was predeceased by her husband Edward (Ted) Frost and grandson Ian Frost.

Funeral arrangements were under the care of Reynars Funeral Home and Crematorium Dawson Creek, B.C.

Alden Christensen


Alden Alfred Christensen, most commonly known as “Al” by his friends, passed away at the Pouce Care Home on February 2, 2003 at the age of 79 years. A memorial service was held at 2:00 p.m. on February 11, 2003 at the Bergeron Funeral Chapel. Captain Gail Haggett officiated.

Alden was a former resident of Doe River, Rolla, and Gordondale, but spent the last 10 years in Dawson Creek. He was born in Kelowna, BC on June 21, 1923. He was the second child of Nels and Pearl Christensen.

He was a very quiet man, but once you got to know him he would like to sit and visit for hours. One of his favorite stops was the Dawson Creek Co-op coffee shop.

Alden's dad was a school teacher. Times were rough in the early years. Alden at the age of nine moved to the Peace River country. He was raised by his Grandma Lillie McArthur, at Landry Crossing along the river. He often talked of how hard his Grandma worked and he helped her in the gardens. Alden went to Bellview School until grade nine. Many times he spent the nights at George and Bell Mcrann's as the river was too high to cross for Alden to go to school. Gordon Mcrann has stated Alden was very intelligent and did well in school.

At a young age, Alden continued his education in Vancouver. On July 12, 1943 Alden enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force at the age of 20. He took his training at the Vancouver Air Training Co. Ltd. During this time he graduated as a Sergeant. Alden was very proud of this achievement. He often spoke of the many different training posts he was stationed at throughout Canada. Alden enjoyed being a pilot and loved flying. On the 29th of January 1945, he was released from active service and placed on reserve Class C.

He later worked on the Alaska Highway (building of it), and was stationed at Whitehorse. He worked for the Department of National Defense Army. Then Alden eventually ended up at Doe River on land from Veteran Land Associates (V.L.A.). He drove truck and was a partner in a saw mill.

Later, he moved to Rolla, B.C. and lived on an acreage in a trailer. During this time he drove water truck during winters, for 17 years until he was 65. During the summers he went down to the coast where he kept his cabin cruiser boat. Alden loved being on the ocean and fishing. He also loved his 1977 Grey Mark V Lincoln.

He mentioned getting burned out once. He lost his sheds, burnt the tires off his tractor, but his trailer survived. In 1989, he bought a 1/4 section in Gordondale and moved his trailer there. Alden loved working outdoors and nature. He enjoyed watching wildlife and a cool bottle of beer. He also enjoyed Sharon's BBQ ribs and other home cooked meals, sockeye salmon sandwiches and shrimp.

Alden had to move into town due to health reasons beyond his control, following a horrible home invasion involving serious injuries which needed lots of medical attention. He had to leave his farm which he loved. In the last ten years he lived at Rotary Village, Peace River Haven and Pouce Coupe Care Home where he passed away.

A very special time for Alden was farm visits at Ralph and Sharon's. Overnights were his favorites. Later when he was in a wheelchair, Jim Norquay would bring Alden out in the van. Many afternoons were spent on the deck having lunch, visiting with the boss (Ralph), and having the odd cool one. Evelyn and Sharon thanked God many times for Jim's wonderful service which enriched Alden's last years.

Alden was proud of being a Legion member for 54 years. Hopefully Alden's last thoughts were of him soaring up high into the clouds in the cockpit piloting a plane. The pain and confusion is gone at last. Thank you, God. We have many memories to carry us on.

He was predeceased by his Father, Nels Christensen, and his Mother, Pearl Christensen.

Survived by:
Sister, Evelyn Willey (Jerome) Goodman of Beverly Hills, California.
Sister, Ardythe McCormick of Nanoose Bay, BC.
Niece, Dianne Baron (Bill) of Thousand Oaks, California.
Great Nephew Timothy Baron (Jen) of Thousand Oaks, California.
Great, Great Nephew Tyier Baron of Thousand Oaks, California.
Cousin Verna Mattson and family of Canada.

Memorial Arrangements were entrusted to Bergeron Funeral Services & Crematorium Ltd., Dawson Creek - Fort St. John, British Columbia.

Canadian Marriages Search Engine

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Obit ] [ Read Next Obit ]

British Columbia, Canada Obituaries and Death Notices Collection is maintained by CanadianObits with WebBBS 5.12.

Search the Abbotsford News Obituary Database here:

First Name:

Last Name:

1921 Census of Canada Obituary Index - NEW!

Canadian Obituary & Death Notice Archive -

Canadian Obituary Collection -

ALSO...Search for your names in these Ontario, Canada Genealogy Websites:

First Name: (first name optional)
Last Name:


Search for your names in this Canadian Marriages Search:

First Name: (first name optional)
Last Name:


 Search fulltext Canadian Genealogy Discussion Groups:

First Name: (first name optional)
Last Name:   UPDATED!!!


Now filtering Canadian provinces!


IMPORTANT HINT!!! - When the list of results displays, DON'T click
on anything! Just pass your mouse over the links at
each listing and you will see a balloon with the marriage




Rootsweb Review Archives Search
Search through the archives of this past genealogy update!

First Name:
Last Name:

Search through tons of fulltext obits
from all over the United States.


First Name:
Last Name:

Search through tons of marriage records
from all over the United States.


The ROOTS-L Message Listserver was a valuable asset to family researching for many years. This archive is TEEMING with family data and clues that can help your research. Here is a handy search tool for that ENTIRE archive!

First Name: (optional)
Last Name:

No results for your search terms? Keep checking back! We add new data every day!

Support the Fight Against Breast Cancer and Shop Pink Bag New York Coffee Blends Now Available at!

Marriage Search Engines

Statewide Obituary Archives

Free Surname Meanings and History Lookup NEW!!!

Or browse surnames alphabetically:

A   B   C   D   E   F

G   H   I   J   K   L

M   N   O   P   Q   R

S   T   U   V   W   X

Y   Z



If the results that you get turn out to be a death notice rather than an obituary, many times you can find a fulltext obituary by doing a search HERE.





Search through 40 million
Obituary and Death Records
in - - - - Surname Search Utility - -


Copyright © 2016-2018
The format and design of this website
is completely owned by,
while the content of obituary data is
forever owned by the families of the deceased.